Saturday, January 10, 2004

Saturday morning (well, for another 24 minutes anyway), drinking coffee and eating pears. This is my new, as of yesterday, thing.
I have to write a paper for a class and my topic is childhood obesity. There are lots of fat kids now as everyone has gone on and on about; however I was a fat kid back when there weren't so many. That's kind of my ulterior motive behind picking that topic. Anyway I spoke with a nutritionist yesterday who is also the mother of two children, one 18 and one 13. I asked how she navigated nutrition with her kids.

One idea she described was FF or Fruit (vegetable) first. Raising her kids they were always required to eat their serving of fruit or vegetable first; then they could eat the pizza or pot roast or whatever. It's hardwired into the kids now, they don't have to be told. And the advantage is that at the beginning of the meal, when you are hungriest, you are getting a food that is bulky, relatively low in calories and high in nutrition. The other advantage is that it's pretty easy to incorporate...rather than saying "No pizza!" or "eat just a single slice of pizza!" the infusion of plant food in the front end makes an appetite more self regulating.

I didn't make any new year's resolutions but this strikes me as a worthy goal. So I cut up a pair of pears and am eating those now.

Feeling extra-happy this morning as I went to hip hop class last night (no class in like the past 4 weeks). I just recently got over a cold so between the illness, the holidays, and all that I've been really under-exercised lately. It really is true, being active makes you (well, makes me) feel better. Apparently George Bush is unable to jog anymore due to excessive wear/tear on his knees. Hope he finds something else; let's not have him more cranky a'ight?

Boogie (that's the instructor's name, I know but it works for her) teaches at The Old Town School of Folk Music and she treats hip-hop dance like any other folk art. She drops in info about the origins of moves. Last night we were locking. Locking is those moves you do with your arms; think recent Missy videos-wrist twirls, pointing, those sorts of gestures. According to Boogie, locking was invented back in the time of The Hustle by a fat dancer named Don. Don couldn't get any girls to dance with him so he would dance by himself, moving his arms as if he was twirling a partner.