Friday, January 23, 2004

Home after my hip hop class. I've been doing the ab exercises every (well, most every) morning before work so of course we added a new series of them today. Ow ow ow. We did a combination that included the elusive glide move that I seem to fucking rock at doing and I thought ah ha! I'm gonna make it through the class and feel like a star! I can DO this.

Then Boogie decided to add in some of that crouch on the floor, throw your legs out move (like one of those Fiddler on the Roof dances but low to the ground and, you know, urban) and I felt all geriatric and shit once again. Next week I'll be in Toronto and Alex says he's found us a drop-in class on Saturdays...he is, in fact, dropping in tomorrow to check it out. So that could be cool, getting another perspective.

I am done with the Mars Rover. I realize that lots of other people say "oh good! Mars rover! We can stop talking about the stupid presidential campaign, geez it's only January." I can appreciate the huge number of skills and innovations that went into the rover, on an intellectual level, sort of, briefly. I do not care if there is or was water on Mars. I realize that this makes me a less well-rounded person and I'm okay with that.

But I'm intrigued that the rover has decided to stop transmitting anything worthwhile and has instead just settled on nothing or gibberish. And I'm even more pleased that the best solution that the folks on the ground can come up with is to reboot. "Did you turn it off and turn it back on?" the people at my work's help desk ask every time. Yes I did AND IT STILL DOESN'T FUCKING WORK.

I talked to Lillian tonight (or rather we IM'ed one another...I guess I'm not supposed to make a distinction between the two in this modern world...ow! leave an old man alone! I was hippity hopping all night for chrissakes!) and her blog is up. I read a bit and will return. I blew it in the blog's first incarnation and didn't get that she had both an MSN community AND a blog and only saw one not the other and then found the blog, then The Man shut her down for some sort of electronic payment hoo ha but now she's back and I'm so thankful. And she blogs about going to Yoga (going at 4:30 in the fucking morning, I might add. 4:30, damn, that's when I wake up to pee and look at the clock and feel smug because I still got two hours left to sleep) and how she doesn't really get it but she is stretching and she is feeling calm and the pleasant head stuff lasts long after the confusing class ends.

"Yeah!" I thought, "yeah I know!"

Sometimes it's good to go deep even when it doesn't feel so good at the time. "This is too deep!" I think, crouched over and balanced on my toes, kicking my feet out exactly half as often and twice as awkwardly as Boogie. But afterwards, standing on the slush of the train platform I didn't even think of that shitty floor work. Only the glide, turn, glide, turn, glide, turn Throw Down Throw Down, back, back. Feeling like a badass.

A badass with some abs that have been WORKED.