Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Listening to the Bush press conference where he came right out and said that he lied to a trio of journalists about his support for Rumsfeld because he thought that would be more advantageous than telling the truth. Amazing. From Ana Marie Cox, liveblogging the press conference at Time:

1:12: "I didn't want to inject a major decision about the war into the final days of the campaign." Even though it might have saved my majority. I am an asshat. Alternate translation: "I lied because I could not tell you the truth." ALSO: talk about playing politics with foreign policy!
1:13 "I thought we were going to be fine... shows what I know!" So they're sticking with the "we are actually political strategy idiots" defense, rather than the "we were lying about that too." Well, that's kind of comforting.

Also in the post-game analysis, it's cheering to see that conservative Arizona managed to reject an anti-gay marriage amendment.