Saturday, May 01, 2004

From this morning's Washington Post:

President Bush said yesterday that people who have skin that is "a different color than white" are capable of self-government.

"There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people whose skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern," Bush said.

"I reject that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily -- are a different color than white can self-govern."


Interesting to me for two reasons...first of all who exactly is he talking about? As the article goes on to say, neither Bush nor his press secretary Scott McClellan would ever say who Bush is rebutting here.

But the second point is that it's difficult to use an example of bigotry and then set yourself up as the opposite. In my Public Relations class, a student was very upset with the last press conference. "He was talking about brown people, who is he to talk about brown people?!?" asked the student. The phrase was included in the speech to defuse charges of bigotry (some unnamed others might not think brown people are good but I think they're awesome) but what came across to my classmate was some white guy smirking about brown people.