Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Irv Kupcinet was buried yesterday and the Chicago papers are full of it.

He wrote a column in the Sun-Times called "Kup's Column" that ran for 60 years and he had a tv talk show for a bazillion years as well. He's kind of like an older, cooler version of Larry King as far as I can tell...here's Kup with Malcolm X, here's Kup with Lauren Bacall, etc.

I have two, very tenuous connections to the late Kup. One is that, in the building where I work there is a physician who has some sort of Geriatric Medicine specialty...there are always some extremely old people on the elevators trying to find the button for the 10th floor. And Kupcinet was one of the patients so he was often being wheeled in and out which was pretty exciting to my colleagues who remembered his glory days.

The second is that I worked with a guy named David at Second City who had just moved to Chicago from LA. He and I smoked weed in his car once. "It's not really my car," he explained of the mammoth sedan, "it's my grandfather's" Well, now from the footage on the news I see that David was Kup's grandson. I got high in Kup's car.