Thursday, October 09, 2003

I started subscribing to a bunch of email newsletters from The Poynter Institute, a group that provides resources, seminars, discussion lists, etc. for journalists. It's one of those sites that makes me want to sit in front of the computer non-stop.

One of the newsletters is called "Al's Morning Meeting Feedback" which tracks interesting stories and suggests angles, approaches, etc. Here's an interesting item from this morning's newsletter...my copyediting teacher would be cranky that I am simply repeating this as if I have confirmed its truth but hey, isn't that half the point of blogging anyway?



From Australia's The Age:

The American Billboard singles chart top 10 is made up exclusively of tunes from black artists for the first time. Nine of the 10 are rappers, plus one track by R&B singer Beyonce and reggae star Sean Paul.

I am unsure what this story really says. It might say something about how record sales, or urban music popularity, or how people buy music now, or what Billboard does or does not measure. I will be interested in what you come up with.


Anyone besides me surprised that this is the first time? Considering that I have basically given up on white people in popular music (I could not possibly care any less than I already do about Dashboard Confessional, Radiohead, ColdPlay, etc.) I felt confirmed by this top ten.

Also from Al I've learned about a brilliant idea, The Democratic Primary Embeds!!!

And not from Al, just from Chicago...Cubs won last night and the garbage strike is getting resolved this morning.