Sunday, September 21, 2003

Ooooh Oooooh child, things are gonna get easier,
Ooooh Oooooh child things'll get brighter
Someday, yeah, we'll put it together and we'll get it all done

This is the second day of getting things done.

I have this to say. Even if I have the most tenuous hope that my in-box, which is to say, that space beteween the easy chairs in my living room, never gets processed, I have some new insight into being me.

I don't think it won't get processed, rather, I don't think that it will be in some seamless, 48 hour endeavor.

Is this what it feels like when you are dyslexic and someone finally tells you "hey, here's why you couldn't read "Clifford The Big Red Dog" and here's what you can do about it"

???

This is what I thought about today, swimming laps:

"What if, actually, I wasn't a quitter and a failure, just someone who didn't get this particular instruction manual"

This is, I think, accurate, I discussed this once with my astrologer friend, Lillian.

"You feel like everybody else got an instruction manual except you," said Lillian, "and you are right, they did. However once you track down these instructions, LOTS of things will fall in place."

This is the other thing Lillian told me, she said, "You will be able to figure this out
in writing, that writing, that making words solid and permanent is your strong point and you will be able to use this to get what you need.

Oblique deck-bloggable yet?

This is more on the nerd tip than on the ultra-self-actualizing tip, but I bought what, I think, may be the ultimate wastebasket.

It is:

1) Bright red!
2) Cheap (less than $3!)
I almost bought it, at full price ($14) a few weeks ago, but the fact that it's on sale is all the better.

it's right here next to me, next to the rolling, 3 decked trolley that probably delivered municipal dinners in a previous life, it now handles my in box.

Let the record show, I toted a big-ass, red wastebasket from Evanston, IL to Chicago.

I like to swim there (Evanston) since their Y is the nicest with both one pool for kids and another pool for lap swimmers) and there is a nice, mall-esque center there next to the Dempster stop what with the faux SPAGGIO'S and the WORLD IMPORTS and the BORDERS and the aforementioned URBAN OUTFITTERS ("do you know where I am?" said a bona-fide shopper this afternoon, "on a chair! In Urban!")

In Urban. In Urban Outfitters, that Pier One of Gen X.

This? This is what I think.

I think the Baby Boomers made baldness acceptible. Have it close cropped or have none at all but no hair is a legitimate option.

I think Gen X will make paunches acceptible.

You've got guts, that's what I like about you.

Opinions? Options? Holla.

D. Reynolds