Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I haven't heard this in a long time, but when I was a teenager, I remember hearing conservatives complain that the word "gay" had been unfairly appropriated by homosexuals and that there was now one less adjective available for use by ordinary, non-sodomites. "They took a perfectly good word and hijacked it."

I thought of this while looking at pictures of W's speech on the web (I listened on the radio since he's somewhat less infuriating without the visual) and I saw his purple tie. A gay tie? No, for purple is now the symbol of democratic blue states and republican red states blending together in a puppy pile of purple. Too sneering to wear a red tie, too pandering to wear blue, too unfashionable to wear gold.

I like the color red and I feel like they took a perfectly good 33% of the primary colors and hijacked it!