Wednesday, May 17, 2006

On a grocery run this evening was listening to the local Hip Hop & RnB station for the top 9 at 9. I had stopped listening for a while because "I'm In Love With a Stripper" continued to be #1 and I'm just not interested.

Music-wise, nothing exciting tonight. But on the general pop-culture, decline-of-society tip, I was horrified to hear the new KFC ads. This is part of the new rebranding strategy, I guess. The background music is a techno-lite reworking of "Sweet Home Alabama" while the announcer touts the new KFC Mashed Potato Bowls! A Mashed Potato Bowl! is chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and three cheeses all in one. Here's a visual. This, of course, is the sexiest possible, food-stylist enhanced version. I didn't catch the announcer mentioning corn although there sure seems to be some in this bowl.

Let's assume, for the moment, that this particular combination of foods all nestled together in a single container tested well in focus groups. Not my kind of thing but the groups loved it. Is the beginning of summer the most strategic time of year to introduce this? When it's hot and humid do people crave a bowl of potatoes and gravy and a bunch of other shit?

Perhaps it is the same people who made "I'm In Love With a Stripper" such a chart topper, perhaps it is these folks who find that such a bowl scratches an itch. After a full day at the beach, only one thing will do! KFC Mashed Potato Bowls! (cue sexy whooping noises)