Tuesday, April 18, 2006

George Ryan, our most recently ex-governor, was convicted of all 3,217 charges against him and could possibly spend the rest of his life in prison.

If you are really interested in the case itself, there's plenty of information online but I want to point you to the direction of the band that named itself after Ryan's statewide infrastructure initiative--Illinois First. If you named your band "Shock and Awe" or "No Child Left Behind" that would at least have some uuuummmph to it.

I should point out that the band has an accordian. They're cool.

The band has a song called "George Ryan". Here's a sample of the lyrics:

Now I'm a dyed in the wool Democrat
But there's a man from Kankakee who really knows where it's at
He's with the Grand Old Party, but that doesn't make him a fascist
He's got progressive politics that put him at the top of my hip list

Illinois First also does an impressive number about Rock Island (you know, one of the four communities that make up the Quad Cities along with Moline, Davenport and Bettendorf--Rock Island, dude!) with the lyrics:

They stored ammunition in Rock Island During World War I
During World War II, they also made a lot of guns
Visit the Rock Island Arsenal Museum if you wanna have some fun

I'm gonna take you down to Rock Island, it's a rock and roll paradise
Rock Island, and you know I'm gonna treat you nice