Thursday, December 04, 2003

Spent a small chunk of time yesterday searching for scholarship information on the web. I hadn't done much of that...I've got loans and that's it, pretty much, but I'd like to be more of a full-time student soon, less of an employee so I thought I should go that route. It looks like I might get some small chunks, $500 here and there but not enough to really FIX anything.

This makes sense but is still a little discouraging. Interestingly, I'm also reading a book now about con men that was published back in the 40's. Most of the cons are based on the idea that there are some folks who think they can get something for nothing. The cons are all based on some element of insider knowledge ("I have a way to learn the results of horse races before a bookie does!") and the mark buys in based on his feeling that he can exploit this "knowledge". I realized that I am primed for a con right now, eager for a quick answer to this financial question.

As a side note, in this 1940s book, the author writes "phone" with an apostrophe like this:

'phone

which is only interesting to me because I'm taking a copy editing class right now and this is a stylistic change...we no longer think of "telephone" as the real word and "phone" as a slangy shorthand. Nerdy, no?

Finally, here's a link to something creepy. Schools are getting rid of soap in washrooms because kids use it to be destructive. Ewwwww gross.